Many thanks to The Unfinished Travel Project for considering Flying Goannas worthy of the nomination.
The award is given to new or lesser known (fewer than 200 followers) travel blogs.
I’ve been given the following questions to answer:
1. Where did you go on your first solo trip and why?
All my solo travel has been to visit family, so not really solo at all. This question makes me realise that I need to change this sometime. I’ll get back to you on when that will be.
2. What is the best street food you’ve eaten and where did you eat it?
Random snacks bought from a strolling vendor in Bangkok. It was our first night in Thailand and we were sitting outside a pub in an alley near our hotel drinking warm beer with ice in it.
3. What is the strangest thing that’s happened to you while traveling?
I don’t really think of anything that’s happened to me as strange. Anything that happens while I’m travelling is an experience. But there was a slightly weird moment that brought home to me how very small the world really is. We were having dinner with a Facebook friend who we’d never met in real life until then. His son, daughter-in-law and grandson were there as well. I friended his son and discovered that he was friends with another friend of mine who had been my penpal for about 20 years.
4. What is the most interesting form of transportation you’ve used?
I don’t know if it’s necessarily interesting, but my favourite is London’s Tube. It’s such an efficient system. It took me about 5 minutes to work it out the first time I was there and I use it every chance I get. I’ve even committed that unforgivable sin – taking the Tube from Leicester Square to Covent Garden. Just because I can.
5. What is your dream vacation?
The one that could happen: A long term rental in a small village somewhere in Europe. I would have the countryside around me and be able to walk into town to buy the fresh local produce, meet the locals and learn the language.
The one that won’t happen: A trip to the moon.
6. What were your most and least favorite travel destinations?
This is tough. It’s hard to choose a favourite, but of the places I’ve been so far I would have to say … no, wait, it must be … or maybe it’s … um, oh I don’t know. If I had to choose one place to go back to I would have to say The Mary Rose in Portsmouth. I’ve been to the UK 3 times and seen her 3 times. She holds so much history and has so many stories to tell. I will definitely be going back.
Least favourite is easier. Not so much a place as a place at a certain time. Western Queensland in the heat of summer. The burning air that sears your lungs as you inhale; talking through clenched teeth so you don’t swallow the flies (but some still get through); the dry, dry dry dust. Do go, but go at a different time of year.
7. What is something you never travel without?
I only have 3 travel essentials: ticket, passport and credit card. If you can’t buy something you want, you probably don’t need it. I might add one to that … an open mind.
I have nominated these blogs for the award (ok, a couple may have more than 200 followers but I like them):
And I give the following questions to my nominees:
- Your worst GPS moment?
- Do you enhance your photos and why or why not?
- What’s your worst menu mistake?
- The weirdest place you’ve slept?
- Your best accidental encounter?
- The place you’d most like to go back to?
- When you make a TV series about your travels, what will it be called?
If you would like to participate, the “rules” are:
- Post the award on your site
- Link it back to the person who nominated you
- Answer the 7 questions posted by the person who nominated you
- Nominate other deserving blogs
- Post 7 questions for the blogs you nominate